[Samba] Win XP and Win 98 problem working together with Samba as PDC

Nadia nadia at isu.bg
Fri Jul 12 10:35:18 GMT 2002

Hello,
I'm running samba 2.2.3a at Mdk 8.1 server as PDC in a small business
network.
There is a lot of windows 98 clients in it and they all work fine with
samba.
I've tryed to join my Windows XP Profesional to the domain.
After installing a registry patch for XP  , creating machine account for win
xp machine in samba, changing the domain name for win xp and login in as
root i succeed.
I received a welcome message for joining in a domain and i could log into it
as existing samba user but the login script doesn't execute.
Also I have other more important  problem with working in a domain. When I
try to find server i can view the list of shares defind in smb.conf and auto
loaded printers BUT when i try to click on the share ( to witch I have all
rights )  to view files and dirs in it i receive "\\server\share refers to a
location that is unavailable.It could be on a hard drive in this computer,
or on a network. Check to make sure that the disk is properly inserted, or
that you are connected to the Internet ot your networ, and they try again.
If it is still cannot be located, the information might have been moved to a
different location." . I read samba log files and I notice that win xp
machine log complanes that could not find Desktop.ini... Insted of this i've
tryed to execute files in the shares. I couldn't see the files and
directoryes but after i knew the full path to it i could start them writing
in a command prompt absolute path \\server\share\dir\file and file
executes...
After reading lots of maling lists arhives and testing different global
options in smb.conf i discovered that "nt smb support = No" makes my XP to
work fine in a domain I can login view shares and there content and work
with it. Unfortunately this makes all Win 98 clients not to work fine, they
can log on but they can view only files saved directly in a share and not
subdirectoryes and files in it... If "nt smb support = Yes (by default) Win
98 clients works and win xp displays this error message.
Please, could someone help me to find out how all clients win 98 and xp can
work with samba together without problems ?
Here is my smb.conf file :
Thanks in advance,
Nadia

[global]