[Samba] Samba + winbind on Unixware

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Fri Jul 12 10:30:40 GMT 2002

Sectorial wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I'm traying to install samba 2.2.5 with winbind support on a Unixware 7.1.1.
>
> The question is: is necessary to install PAM to support winbind?

PAM is the least of your problems...

This is what the various bits of winbind require:

Winbindd requires unix domain sockets
	(includes wbinfo, and the challange-response authentication if
selected)

nss_winbind requires nsswitch - currently known functional on linux,
solaris, HPUX, IRIX

pam_winbind requires PAM

So, what does this mean?

If you want winbind to put users into your system getpwnam() it must be
nsswitch capable.  I don't think Unixware is.

You need PAM if you want PAM applications (typically /bin/login, sshd)
to use winbind for authentication.

Andrew Bartlett

Andrew Bartlett                                 abartlet at pcug.org.au
Manager, Authentication Subsystems, Samba Team  abartlet at samba.org