[Samba] job fails to print via samba 2.2.6-pre1 - lpd ASCII and postscript test works fine...

Paul.Sanders at excellus.com Paul.Sanders at excellus.com
Thu Jul 11 10:21:40 GMT 2002

Red Hat 7.3
samba 2.2.6-pre1 using bsd style printing

 printers:     HP LaserJet 8100
                      HP LaserJet 8150
                      HP Color LaserJet 4500
                      HP Color LaserJet 4550

Problem:   I set up printers in linux via printconf as JetDirect queues.  I
have ~90 printers, all but 12 of which are  HP LJ 4000/4050.
I can send a test page [both ASCII and Postscript] to ALL queues via
printconf and all tests come out OK.
When I move over to an NT/2k box and send text via samba all jobs print
fine.
When printing a page containing graphics [in this case an image of a plump
Tux with some text...] I get a blank page followed by a page with a short
error message:

      ERROR: timeout
      OFFENDING COMMAND: timeout

      STACK:
      -mark-
      /sfnts

The stack error varies somewhat depending on the page being sent.  Samba
shows no errors in any log that I have looked into and there in no
appreciable delay in the page being printed [which would seem to be the
case with a 'timeout' error].  just to clarify - this error is printed on a
sheet of paper from the printer not in any logs or onscreen dialog.

I changed the queue for one of these printers to a Unix/lpd queue and all
jobs regardless of origin print OK.  I have not touched the drivers or
changed any other setting.

These same printers are currently being servered by a Redhat 6.2.4 [VA
Linux version] box running 2.2.5-pre and I have no issues like this.  [I am
upgrading a two-box 'cluster' one box at a time...].

Again, I see no errors - samba seems to think the printer accepted the job
while the printer thinks it is getting junk.

This is not a show stopper since i can just use the LPD style queue for the
cranky printers...

Any thoughts..

Paul Sanders
Univera Health Care IT