[Samba] Problems with DOS printing from W2K on Samba

Chris Smith chris at realcomputerguy.com
Thu Jul 11 09:33:03 GMT 2002

On Wed, 2002-07-10 at 07:00, Bo Jacobsen wrote:
> I have setup a W2K client that uses a SuSE8.0 samba 2.2.5 server on the network.
> Samba is setup to use CUPS and as long as I print from W2K itself, there is no problems
> at all. It I try to copy a text file to a printer on the Samba server e.i. cp file \\lserver1\HP4000T
> nothing comes out of the printer and the following error message is written to
> /var/log/samba/log.smbd:

Not that I would expect it to be any different but I'm wondering what
would occur if did a "net use LPTx: \\lserver1\HP4000T" and send the
file to the port (cp file LPT1:).

An account of mine was having this problem with an HP LaserJet 5M on a
DirectJet port. They were using an NT PDC and the Samba box was not a
domain member just a server in the workgroup as I was preparing to drop
the NT server. At any rate I never got the DOS printing to work until
the NT server was dropped and Samba took over domain duties. It's
difficult to know exactly were the problem was as I did change drivers
(went to the ones that were on the Win2k Server disk) at the same time
as well.

Chris

--
'Nix MS - Just Say .NyET