[Samba] smbpasswd + ldap questions

Jason Joines joines at joines.okstate.edu
Thu Jul 11 07:52:49 GMT 2002

On Monday 24 June 2002 03:19, IOhannes zmoelnig wrote:
> David Wright wrote:
> > to run passwd on THAT machine.
> >
> > What I really want is either:
> >
> > * that pam_smbpasswd be able to update the smbpasswd file on
> > ANOTHER computer. Say on the file server via smb. Is this actually
> > possible and I've just missed it? If so, how do I configure that?
> > Or...
> >
> > * a "pam_smbldap" module that does what pam_smbpasswd does, but
> > uses an LDAP backend in place of the smbpasswd file. I actually
> > looked at the pam_smbpasswd code to see if this would be easy to
> > implement. The code is very straightforward, but unfortunately this
> > is because it hides all of the actual work in calls to Samba
> > libraries. Has someone with more unserstanding of the Samba
> > internals perhaps already undertaken the production of a
> > "pam_smbldap" module?
>
> hi !
>
> i am successfully using the patch to the pam_ldap module provided
> at
> to keep the smbpasswd and the unixpassword (bot stored in the
> ldap-tree) in sync.
> you then just have to add a line like "samba_ntlm_sync true" to your
> /etc/pam_ldap.conf
> i think the patch is for pam_ldap-137 but it worked (for me) on
> pam_ldap-140 too.
>
> mfg.cfd.sdr
> IOhannes

     This is exactly what I need to do as well.  I downloaded the stuff
from http://www.rit.bme.hu/~balsa/pam_ldap_ntlm/ but thought it was the
entire pam_ldap instead of a patch.  A patch is much better as I would
like to apply it to my SuSE 8.0 pam_ldap-137 source rpm, then build an
rpm from that.
     How can I apply the patch?

Thanks,

Jason Joines