[Samba] Samba 2.2.5-1, Error Creating Directories

Alexander Griesser tuxx at tuxx-home.at
Thu Jul 11 04:54:02 GMT 2002

Hi!

This is a really weird problem, I hope, someone can help me out there.
First of all, I put my smb.conf on the web, you can find it here[0].

The Sambaserver (ESS-LINUX) is just an ordinary workstation (in the
terms of SMB) and uses the PDC (ESS_SERVER) for authentication (see
"password server"-directive).

Nearly everything works fine. Each authenticated user gets his
home-directory mapped and one can create files, copy files, ... But I
cannot get Samba to let me create directories in any of my shares :-/

I used debug level 3 to examine this behaviour, the short excerpt looks
like this:
|| unix_clean_name [/Neuer Ordner]
|| reduce_name [Neuer Ordner] [/home/alex]
|| stat of Neuer Ordner failed (No such file or directory)
|| error string = No such file or directory
|| error packet at smbd/reply.c(1217) cmd=8 (SMBgetatr) \<linebreak>
|| NT_STATUS_OBJECT_NAME_NOT_FOUND || Transaction 8 of length 54
|| switch message SMBgetatr (pid 18945)
|| unix_clean_name [/Neuer Ordner]
|| reduce_name [Neuer Ordner] [/home/alex]
|| stat of Neuer Ordner failed (No such file or directory)
|| error string = No such file or directory
|| error packet at smbd/reply.c(1217) cmd=8 (SMBgetatr) \<linebreak>
|| NT_STATUS_OBJECT_NAME_NOT_FOUND || Transaction 9 of length 41
|| switch message SMBgetatr (pid 18945)
|| getatr name= mode=18 size=0
|| Transaction 10 of length 54
|| switch message SMBgetatr (pid 18945)
|| unix_clean_name [/Neuer Ordner]
|| reduce_name [Neuer Ordner] [/home/alex]
|| stat of Neuer Ordner failed (No such file or directory)
|| error string = No such file or directory
|| error packet at smbd/reply.c(1217) cmd=8 (SMBgetatr) \<linebreak>
|| NT_STATUS_OBJECT_NAME_NOT_FOUND

[ The long version can be found here [1] ]

The username I'm connecting with is - as you can see - "alex" and I
tried to create the directory "Neuer Ordner" (which is the german
version of "New Folder" when you try to create a new folder using the
right mousebutton context-menu).

First i thought, that the blank in the name would cause the troubles, then
I tried to paste a directory into this one with a foldername without
spaces, but the result was the same.

I do not know, where else to check, maybe someone can give me a hint?

Best regards,
alexx

[0] <http://www.tuxx-home.at/smb.conf.html> (syntax highlighted)
    <http://www.tuxx-home.at/smb.conf> (original version)
[1] <http://www.tuxx-home.at/smb.log>

PS.: I already posted quite the same message to the newsgroup
     "linux.samba", but noone there could help me so far. Please don't
     feel offended if you're reading this problem description for a
     second time, thank you.

PPS.: Please CC: me, as I'm not subscribed to the list, thanks.
--
|   .-.  |     CCNA Alexander Griesser <tuxx at tuxx-home.at>     | .''`. |
|   /v\   \   http://www.tuxx-home.at -=- Linux 2.4.18-xfs    / : :' : |