[Samba] Can't upgrade from 2.0.7 to 2.2.5

Martyn Ranyard ranyardm at lineone.net
Thu Jul 11 02:30:03 GMT 2002

At 11:17 PM 7/10/02 -0700, Kevin Brown wrote:
>i have a turbolinux 6.5 server with 2.2 kernel, and samba 2.0.7.
>When i download 2.2.5 into /usr/local, run ./configure, run make, run
>make install, i then start the smbd and type smbd -V and it still
>shows I am running 2.0.7. Am I on crack?
>kevin
>Am I missing a step?

Hmm... I'll refrain from commenting about the rest, but yes, you missed a step.

Use the package management tool in turbolinux to remove samba prior to
installing 2.2.5.

Ideally do a make uninstall in the samba 2.2.5 source directory, uninstall
2.0.7 and then do a make install again.

The problem is you have two copies of samba installed, the first in the
path is the turbolinux ver.

Martyn Ranyard

I am not a member of the samba team,
and anything that I say may not be as