[Samba] Samba authenication to Window Active Directory

Brad Richins BRichins at lopezgarciagroup.com
Wed Jul 10 08:31:02 GMT 2002

-----Original Message-----
From: Gerald Carter [mailto:jerry at samba.org]
Sent: Wednesday, July 10, 2002 09:54
To: Javid Abdul-AJAVID1
Cc: Andrew Bartlett; Cynthia Marie Calvin; samba at samba.org
Subject: RE: [Samba] Samba authenication to Window Active Directory

On Wed, 10 Jul 2002, Javid Abdul-AJAVID1 wrote:

> we are moving our member servers ( windows ) to win2000 from NT4.0
>
> right now samba is  memeber server in NT4.0 resource domain, but
accounts
> domain is AD.
> so we have samba directing authentication to PDC in NT domain which
again
> gets info from  AD accounts DC.
>
> Just wondering if i need to upgrade from 2.0.7 to 2.2.5 if PDC in NT
> resource domain is being upgraded to Win2K DC.
>

> so far 2.0.7 is pretty solid without any issues.

And also pretty old right now.  Try it and see.  My guess is that
you will end up required 2.2.5 due to some Win2k SP issue or feature.
Although I can' give a specific example.  Sid History maybe?
Don't remember if this was supported in 2.0.7 or not.

As long a Windows 2000 is in 'Mixed Mode' and not 'Native Mode' you
should not have any problems as Win2K will continue legacy
compatibility.  However, if your intent is to shift into full Windows
2000 Native mode as I have done here, I expect you will find yourself
needing to upgrade your SAMBA servers as well.

cheers, jerry