[Samba] Samba authenication to Window Active Directory

Brad Richins BRichins at lopezgarciagroup.com
Wed Jul 10 07:54:47 GMT 2002

On Wed, 10 Jul 2002, Andrew Bartlett wrote:

> Cynthia Marie Calvin wrote:
> >
> > Has any version of Samba been tested for compatibility with the new
> > Windows Active Directory?
> >
> > We will be upgrading our NT domain to 2000 and creating Active
> > Directory.
> >
> > Currently our solaris samba 2.0.7 server is configured to
authenicate
> > users from our NT domain controllers.  Will we encounter problems
with

> Only if you move to native mode.  However, due to other bugs (in win2k
> as much as in Samba) and upgrade to 2.2.5 wold be a good idea.
>
> Native AD support is available in Samba HEAD.

Now andrew, you know that 2.2.x can operate in a native
Win2k domain using NTLM.  :-)  Just not kerberos, which is
what I know you were referring to.

I had difficulties getting 2.2.5 to do encrypted authentication on a
Win2K Domain in native mode.  HEAD was much easier to get up and running
correctly.  I must say that I would recommend using it.