[Samba] 'Not listening for calling name'

Martyn Ranyard ranyardm at lineone.net
Wed Jul 10 03:17:02 GMT 2002

This seems to indicate that your netbios name is set wrong.

Run 'testparm < /dev/null | grep -i netbios' and see what it thinks it is
listening for.

if it says something other than netbios name = SAMBA then you need to work
out what smb.conf samba is actually looking at :

'testparm < /dev/null | grep smb.conf' should tell you that.

and then you can alter the netbios name to SAMBA and everything should work.

A trick I used once when I needed to look at all the options to play with
was to redirect the output of testparm to the smb.conf - this gave me a
very long smb.conf with lots to play with!  I don't know how recommended
that is though (I would imagine not at all because parameters change from
rev. to rev.).

At 10:56 AM 7/10/02 +0100, Vicky Clarke wrote:
>Nope, not even with the IP address:
>
>smbclient //samba/art -I 172.17.1.3
>added interface ip=127.0.0.1 bcast=127.255.255.255 nmask=255.0.0.0
>added interface ip=172.17.1.3 bcast=172.17.3.255 nmask=255.255.252.0
>session request to SAMBA failed (Not listening for calling name)
>session request to *SMBSERVER failed (Not listening for calling name)
>
>I'm starting to think it must be something to do with my weird DNS setup
>after all.
>
>Vicky

Martyn Ranyard

I am not a member of the samba team,