[Samba] 'Not listening for calling name'

Herb Lewis herb at sgi.com
Tue Jul 9 11:25:01 GMT 2002

You should probably be typing

smbclient //samba/art

since you specified the netbios name of the machine to be samba.
If the name samba is not in your /etc/hosts file (or DNS) you
would need to add the "-I wild" switch (assuming the DNS name
of your machine was wild

Vicky Clarke wrote:

> I'm having a strange problem with samba, 2.2.3a running on an
> out-of-the-box SuSE 8.0 system. This is the first time I've set it up
> (hence the dumb questions I was asking on here a day or two ago). I've now
> worked my way through diagnosis.txt and a couple of odd netBIOS issues with
> the NT4 PDC, and at last I have some shares set up that my Windows client
> can use quite happily. However smbclient on the local machine comes up with
> the following error:
>
> wild:~ # smbclient //wild/art -U username%password
> added interface ip=127.0.0.1 bcast=127.255.255.255 nmask=255.0.0.0
> added interface ip=172.17.1.3 bcast=172.17.3.255 nmask=255.255.252.0
> session request to WILD failed (Not listening for calling name)
> session request to *SMBSERVER failed (Not listening for calling name)
>
> smbd and nmbd are running as daemons; this is my smb.conf:
>
> [global]
>          netbios name = SAMBA
>          workgroup = DOMAIN1

Herb Lewis                               Silicon Graphics
Networking Engineer                      1600 Amphitheatre Pkwy MS-510
Strategic Software Organization          Mountain View, CA  94043-1351
herb at sgi.com                             Tel: 650-933-2177
http://www.sgi.com                       Fax: 650-932-2177