[Samba] Windows 2k/XP and roaming profiles

Janet Dickson janet at bioss.sari.ac.uk
Tue Jul 9 08:25:03 GMT 2002

Hi

I'm finding it takes ages to download a roaming profile from the server
when I log into Win2k or XP.  A 4Mb profiles typically takes about 2
minutes (and 2 minutes to write back when I log out).

I did a test and copied the profile directory from the server to my PC.
Running under Win98 takes 1-2 minutes. Under 2K/XP it takes nearly 5
minutes. However, a single file of 4Mb only takes about 10 seconds. I
assume this is because my profile consists of a large number of small
files (about 500 mainly lnk files) and actually takes up over 20Mb of
space on the PC when copied.

I've just upgraded to Samba 2.2.5 (from 2.2.1) but it hasnt made any
difference. The samba server is running Solaris 8.

Are there any tweaks I should be making to speed up the download ?
Otherwise I shall just abandon roaming profiles.

	Janet

Janet Dickson                        | http://www.bioss.ac.uk/~janet
Biomathematics & Statistics Scotland | email: janet at bioss.ac.uk
The King's Buildings, Mayfield Rd    | Telephone: +44 (0) 131 650 4888
Edinburgh EH9 3JZ, Scotland, UK.     | Fax: +44 (0) 131 650 4901