[Samba] Printing eats my CPU

Martin Zielinski m.zielinski at seh.de
Tue Jul 9 00:56:08 GMT 2002

On Monday 08 July 2002 16:41, you wrote:
> On Tue, 2 Jul 2002, Martin Zielinski wrote:
> > Hi all,
> > I still have several problems with the printing system.
> >
> > The most critical is, that some drivers seem to cause an infinite RPC
> > loop. I have a KYOCERA Mita KM 4230 KX driver installed. In this moment I
> > can see SPOOLSS_GET_PRINTER and SPOOLSS_GET_PRINTERDATA requests and
> > RPC responses on the net. Stracing the smbd process looks like this:
>
> How many printers do you have on the server?  Just looks like normal
> tdb lookups.

In this case: 20 queues. The network trace shows about 70 GET_PRINTERDATA
requests  (Change Id 3(?)) and the same number of GET_PRINTER requests in one
second (and the responses).
I watched this more than one minute. I don't believe, it's normal.

Removing the KX drivers from the Samba server solved this problem (and
cleaning up the XP registry). I believe you'd have to reimplement the w2k
bugs to make these buggy drivers work.

I've got another problem:
To answere an RFFPCNEX request the Samba server tries to resolve the name of
the client. If the client has VMWARE installed, it returnes more than one ip
- some of them typically not in the subnet of the samba server.
Perhaps the same happens, if a DNS lookup or WINS request succeeds on clients
with more than one network interface. The client connect routine fails in
this case - even if a vaild ip address of the client has been submitted. This
is even worse, as I have seen delays up to 20 seconds in a class B network
after this lookup, until the Samba server responded the request. In our class
C network the response time is about 0.5 to 1 second. Perhaps it would be
better to sort the ip addresses first, or take the ip address from the open
connection?.

P.S. This affects the displaying of the printers in the printers folder.
They stay on status "opening" or even "unable to connect".

Another (not critical):
I've installed 100 printers. Calling rpcclient with the "enumprinters" command
fails. The samba log says:

unmarshall_rpc_header: assert on frag length failed (20408).

Just a bug in rpcclient?

Thanks so far!

Martin

Martin Zielinski m.zielinski at seh.de