[Samba] Samba password and WinNT server password files

Brad Rose bradrose at hotmail.com
Mon Jul 8 15:01:02 GMT 2002

Clueless and more clueless -

ok - am a total newbie here with linux and I thought we would get our feet wet using Linux Mandrake 8.1.

Installed like a charm but I have a few questions regarding SMB with a WINNT network.  I have been reading
the newsgroup and am confused on a few issues.

What we want to do:
    Replace a Windows PC acting as a printer server with linux

Samba version 2.2.1a

Questions:

Samba can chat with WINNT and send encrypted passwords/hash back and forth.  Comments on the group indicate that there are two sets of passwords.  One at the WINNT site and the other in the samba password file.  This would seem to indicate that you have to know the password or have the users setup their own passwords in linux and have them in sync with eachother.  Is this correct?

Can password authentification occur just at the WINNT server avoiding the samba password file?

Also, have tried using the smbclient program and it does not seem to be installed.  Command not recognized.  Any ideas?

Thank you,

Brad Rose
State Bank La Junta
719-384-5901