[Samba] browsing, name resolution, etc,etc....

Enrique Sanchez Vela esanchezvela at yahoo.com
Mon Jul 8 12:59:02 GMT 2002

Hi,

 my same and only customer's network has 2 subnets so
they claim they need netbeui to be able to browse
across the subnet, I said they dont but they are kind
of reluctant to follow the advise.

 Now that the samba server is working, now I want to
use it as a WINS server for all the machines across
the network to reduce network traffic, but I need to
make sure they will be able to share resources using
only tcp/ip and a wins server.

 also, setting a machine to become a WINS client would
be enough to stop it from trying to become a Master
Browser?? I have two machines fighting eachother for
the control of it.

If I got the concept straight I wont be using a Domain
or local Master Browser if I use a WINS Server even if
it is in a different subnet, and I should be able to
browse and see the whole network resources. Am I
right?

thanks,
esv.