[Samba] Setting file permissions through SAMBA

C.J. Keist cjay at engr.colostate.edu
Mon Jul 8 10:21:04 GMT 2002

I've tried the samba lists but have not gotten any response for my
problem.  This looks to be a bug.
All our user files are accessed through SAMBA on our main file servers, one
is Linux RH7.2 and the second one is a Solaris system running Solaris
8.  The problem we're seeing is that when some one creates a file for their
web page, they have to set the permission on the file to rw for owner and r
for group and Everyone.  When you look at the file in UNIX it does show the
correct permissions, but the Web server says it cannot access the
file.  The web server accesses user's personnel web pages via NFS.  The
file shows  the correct permission on the Web server too.  The only way to
get the web server (Apache) to access their page is to do a "chmod 644" in
UNIX again.  After that the apache web server can access their files.
So it looks like SAMBA is changing the permission on the files, but is
missing a step somewhere.  Like its not sending a signal or something to
notify the system that the file permissions have changed.
This is not an Apache problem as I can "su" to the apache user (or any
other user) and not be able to 'more' the file.  Even though it has read
permission for everyone.  This looks to be a problem where the files are
accessed via NFS.  Changing permissions on files local to the web server
works fine.

SAMBA version: 2.2.4 and 2.2.5

I just want the chance to prove 'Money can't buy Happiness'" - a bumper sticker

C. J. Keist                     Email: cjay at engr.colostate.edu
UNIX/Network Manager            Phone: 970-491-0630
Engineering Network Services    Fax:   970-491-5569
College of Engineering, CSU
Ft. Collins, CO 80523-1301