[Samba] winbind loses domain connection

Rob Keeling rob at rjkeeling.freeserve.co.uk
Mon Jul 8 03:46:27 GMT 2002

For some time we have been running a samba server with 10 printers attached
via HP jetdirect units.
Friday we had some power problems and this resulted in the samba server
asking for user names etc.

The box is set up with Samba 2.2.3a, with winbind support, ans should be a
member of our NT 4 Domain.

As root on the Linux box

wbinfo -t gives secret is bad.

I have tried  smbpasswd -j domain -r (PDC) -U administrator and givien the
NT admin password

I have tried deleting machine from NT server manager, waiting for the entry
to clear, adding machine
as a domain member on NT then using smbpasswd.

Still can`t make samba rejoin the domain.

Any pointers?

Urgently need some help with this one we are wanting to migrate away from NT
and this was my test server!

Rob Keeling
Network Manager
Queen Elizabeth`s Grammar School