[Samba] samba issue?

Urban Widmark urban at teststation.com
Sun Jul 7 09:10:03 GMT 2002

On 7 Jul 2002, mdew wrote:

> My current smb.conf http://mdew.orcon.net.nz/samba/smb.conf  , isnt
> showing up in windows b0xes (Win2k)
>
> I can however mount  my drive from the linux router, and it shows this
> error (maybe unrelated/related to this..)
>
> mount /sharing/ryan
> smb_get_length: recv error = 5
> smb_trans2_request: result=-5 setting invalid
> smb_retry: succesful, new pid=32382, generation=2

Unrelated. It's just saying that the server disconnected and smb_retry
reconnected.

Also, smbfs is a client, but being visible to windows boxes is a server
thing (nmbd & smbd) so you should look at the logs for those. A wild guess
is that you have some firewall rules blocking the traffic.

I assume that the linux router you speak of is on the same network as the
win2k boxes and that it is the one you can't see? Otherwise I believe it
won't work without wins servers, remote announce and other samba magic.

/Urban