[Samba] Slowdown and errors

Noel Kelly nkelly at tarsus.co.uk
Sun Jul 7 03:00:05 GMT 2002

Hi Martyn

We have been using Sage50 (Windows 98 clients) and Sage 100 (Windows NT/2000
clients) successfully since Nov 2001 on Samba 2.2.x.  Oplocks are off of
course and we have nothing fancy in our smb.conf (below).

The only problems we have had with Sage are when the users neglect to clear
out their print spool directory (Sage creates three files for each print).
When they browse their printout listings Samba goes berserk as it tries to
index directories with thousands of files in them (load average 8+).  Novell
never blinked on the same hardware.  As long as these spool directories are
tidied regularly then this is avoided.

You might want to examine the customer's network infrastructure a little
more if they had a duff switch?  They could have other nasties in there.

HTH,
Cheers,
Noel

[global]
        workgroup = UK
        netbios name = BELLY
        server string = Samba Server 2.2.4
        invalid users = root bin uucp sys
        encrypt passwords = Yes
        update encrypted = Yes
        keepalive = 30
        deadtime = 5
        socket options = IPTOS_LOWDELAY TCP_NODELAY
        host msdfs = yes
        utmp = yes

        os level = 0
        preferred master = False
        local master = No
        domain master = False

        security = domain
        password server = BRAIN,MOUTH
        smb passwd file = /usr/local/samba/private/smbpasswd

        wins server = 192.168.5.4
        name resolve order = wins host bcast

        winbind uid = 10000-20000
        winbind gid = 10000-20000
        winbind enum users = yes
        winbind enum groups = yes
        winbind separator = +
        nt acl support = yes
        template homedir = /raid/homedrives/%U
        template shell = /dev/null

        # These oplock settings increase file access dramatically but
        # we might have to negate them if we experience run away smbd
processes
        kernel oplocks = no
        oplocks = no
        level2 oplocks = no

        #panic action = "/root/panic.sh %d"
        #panic action = /usr/bin/X11/xterm -display :2.0 -e gdb
/usr/local/samba
/bin/winbindd
#       log file = /usr/local/samba/var/log.%m
        log level = 1

[SAGE]
        path = /raid/shared/SAGE/
        browseable = no
        public = no
        read only = No
        inherit permissions = yes
        create mask = 777
        directory security mask = 777
        nt acl support = yes
        valid users = @uk+it, at uk+accounts, at uk+finance

>    The customer (5-10 users) runs Sage Line 50, and until recently was
> getting numerous errors within sage.  We have temporarily replaced their
> switch and this has reduced the fatality rate and a few corruptions.  They

> still however get a message along the lines of "waiting for file
> index.dta".  I have looked into the logs and found no errors apart from
the
> standard anonymous access not allowed type messages.  If anyone knows
> wether Sage Line 50 requires oplocks or has a configuration that works
> solidly with it, please step forward.  I am awaiting their connection to
> the net to retrieve their smb.conf and testparm output, but anything to
> look for specifically would be a boon.

---