[Samba] network path not found

sthom sthom at myrealbox.com
Fri Jul 5 17:22:02 GMT 2002

Aton,

Please keep in mind that you have two sets of permission to deal with. If
you share a folder called "stuff" located in "/home/stuff", you need to set
the Samba permissions for the "stuff" share to allow full access. In
addition, (very important) you need to set the unix permissions for the
/home/stuff directory to allow full access to the user(s) or group(s) that
need to access this directory.

It is very common to fail to see the two sides of that coin.

Additionally, I consider myself an intermediate user, yet I made 4 typos
that cost me an hour while "training" someone to use samba! What a dope!

All this is to say that linux and samba are not like horseshoes - everything
has to be right for it to work, close doesn't count. Once you get it right,
you will be very happy with the outcome.