[Samba] Newbie Help

sthom sthom at myrealbox.com
Fri Jul 5 17:13:02 GMT 2002

Donald,

Never fear. Where the documentation leaves something to be desired, the
personal help with Linux is beyond comparison.

If you want to learn a great deal in a hurry, I would recommend a book that
assisted my migration immensely. Look for "Samba Administration for Windows
Administrators" by Gary Wilson. The ISBN number is 0-13-040942.1, I got my
copy at Barnes and Noble for $40.

That being said, all of the Samba configuration issues are adequately dealt
with in the included documentation. I highly recommend that you use Webmin
(www.webmin.com) to manage your machine, which has easy links to Samba and
Swat.

I also recommend that you plan to use Swat to build your smb.conf file, at
least for now. If you don't understand a particular command, just click the
help link on the left and up pops a window with context sensitive
assistance.

You will succeed.