[Samba] Printing with Samba...

Brad samba-user at capstone.net.au
Fri Jul 5 14:01:03 GMT 2002

We have had a hard disk crash in one of our file servers and it has been
rebuilt with Red Hat 6.1 by a software vendor. It had to be this older
version due to some legacy sostware that won't work with any later version.

I am trying to restore it to it's original state as a Samba file server for a
small number of Windows 98 clients. I have installed Samba 2.0.7-4 (the
latest for Red Hat 6.1) and have managed to recover the old smb.conf file
from the crashed HD and have got all the shares working OK, but now I need to
get an HP1100 Laser that is connected to the parallel port working so that
the Win98 PCs can print to it.

Unfortunately, the software vendor didn't install X and I don't have a 6.1 CD
any more, so I am limited to a character interface.

This is the printers entry in smb.conf file:

[printers]
        comment = All Printers
        path = /var/spool/lpd
        read only = No
        guest ok = Yes
        print ok = Yes

I cannot see the printer from the Win98 clients. I set this up several years
ago using the character interface but cannot remember how I did it.

Has anyone else had any experience with this?

Regards,
Brad