[Samba] Newbie Help

Donald D. Henson wepin at wepin.com
Fri Jul 5 08:40:02 GMT 2002

I have been a long-time supporter of Windows but have recently decided
to switch to Linux. (This makes me a Linux newbie.) I selected the Red
Hat 7.3 distribution and have managed, with some help, to get my Linux
system set up pretty much the way I want it to be with one major
exception: I cannot get my Linux machine to talk to my Windows XP
Professional laptop across a 10/100 Mb/s Ethernet network. (I know that
the hardware is set up correctly because when I boot up in my Windows
partition, same machine as the Linux partition, the Windows workgroup
works correctly.) I am looking for some help. I would even be willing to
pay a reasonable consulting fee if, working together, we are able to set
up my network so that I can pass files between my Linux setup and my
Windows XP Professional laptop. Here is where I am at this point.

1. I discovered that Red Hat does not provide tech support for Samba
even though they have a section in one of their manuals telling how to
set it up.

2. I found, downloaded, and installed (using the Red Hat Linux RPM
package) Samba version 2.2.5.

3. I tried following setup instructions in various publications but,
with all due respect, most of the documentation is aimed at the
developer community and not the newbie community.

I am stuck at this point. I cannot transition to Linux until I can
transfer my existing files. Any assistance will be sincerely
appreciated.

NOTE: If you want to take advantage of my consulting offer, please reply
to my private e-mail address, HYPERLINK
"mailto:wepin at wepin.com"wepin at wepin.com. Thanks.

Donald D. Henson, Managing Director, WEPIN

"There's no government like self government" - - HYPERLINK
"http://www.wepin.com/" \nhttp://www.wepin.com/

---