[Samba] path to long in samba-2.2.5

Joerg Lenneis lenneis at wu-wien.ac.at
Fri Jul 5 04:59:03 GMT 2002

hela wann:

> Hello.
> I have a problem with samba-2.2.5 and Win2000. I try to copy a file onto my
> home share and the explorer takes a long time to copy the file. After a
> while (ca. 30 seconds) there comes an error-box: path is to long (Der Pfad
> ist zu lang.)
> The error just gives me an OK-button. The files is correctly transmitted. I
> checked it, but if takes a very long time and there comes the error-message.

> What can it be?

> And here the smb.conf

[...]

Hela,

check for corruption on the NTFS file system you copy the file
from. NTFS on a Win2k box I am using managed to link two directories
together in a circular fashion so that the resulting name looks like

\dir1\dir2\dir3\dir2\dir3\dir2\dir3\dir2\dir3\dir2\dir3\ ....

As soon as you try to access that directory via the command line or
Explorer, the message that you received (Path too long) is generated
for obvious reasons. I have not found a way to get rid of that
directory, Win2k lacking the necessary tools ...

--

Joerg Lenneis

email: lenneis at wu-wien.ac.at