[Samba] Slowdown and errors

Martyn Ranyard ranyardm at lineone.net
Fri Jul 5 03:24:20 GMT 2002

Hi all,

   I am having some strange problems on a customer site :

   I am pretty sure I disabled oplocks entirely - I don't like the idea of
them, and would rather have stable data.

   The customer (5-10 users) runs Sage Line 50, and until recently was
getting numerous errors within sage.  We have temporarily replaced their
switch and this has reduced the fatality rate and a few corruptions.  They
still however get a message along the lines of "waiting for file
index.dta".  I have looked into the logs and found no errors apart from the
standard anonymous access not allowed type messages.  If anyone knows
wether Sage Line 50 requires oplocks or has a configuration that works
solidly with it, please step forward.  I am awaiting their connection to
the net to retrieve their smb.conf and testparm output, but anything to
look for specifically would be a boon.

   Thanks in advance,

Martyn Ranyard
Free Software Advocate