[Samba] runaway smbd processes

Mewes, Keith keith.mewes at adi-limited.com
Thu Jul 4 18:46:02 GMT 2002

Hi,

I have a problem with the followig configuration. If anyone can shed some
light on it I would be very grateful!

Solaris 8
Samba 2.2.4 running via inetd
NT 4.0

users access data and their own home directories stored on Unix from,
mainly, NT PCs

Not all, but some users end up with multiple smbd processes.
Every now and again, one smbd process (normally belonging to one of about 3
users) will start hogging CPU even though they are doing very little on
their PC. Swap space on the Unix server will slowly drop until there is not
enough left to execute system commands and a reboot is required.

Yesterday, one user had 50 smbd processes running.I started to manually kill
the processes but after kiling about 10, all others multiple smbd processes
died for about 3 users and things returned to normal.

The main culprit has an old PC (built 1999) with NT4.0, SP5.

smbd.conf excert (names and IP changed for security purposes!):

[global]
   guest account = nobody
   security = server
   password server = x.x.x.x
   workgroup = NNN-NN
   wins server = nnnnnnnn
   local master = no
   lock directory = /var/samba/locks
   max log size = 5000
   log file = /var/samba/logs/log.%m
   share modes = yes
   strict locking = yes
   debuglevel = 7
   dead time = 15
   getwd cache = yes
   homedir map = auto_home
   invalid users = root
   message command = /bin/mail -s 'message from %f on %m' samba_admin < %s;
rm %s
   nis homedir = true
   os level = 0
   read prediction = yes
   time server = yes
   preserve case = yes
   short preserve case = yes
   case sensitive = no
   create mode = 0775
   directory mode = 0775

Thanks in advance.....

Keith

This Email may contain confidential and/or privileged information and is
intended solely for the addressee(s) named. If you have received this
information in error, or are advised that you have been posted this Email by
accident, please notify the sender by return Email, do not redistribute it,
delete the Email and keep no copies.