[Samba] some newbie questions

Joel Hammer Joel at HammersHome.com
Thu Jul 4 18:34:02 GMT 2002

You many have conflicts between the old and new versions. I would remove all
the old samba stuff, although, saving your smb.conf is not a bad idea if it
works.
There is a good chance that your startup scripts won't know
where the new version of samba is installed and won't work.
Staring samba is not hard:

!/bin/bash
case "$1" in
 start)
  killall smbd
  killall nmbd
/usr/local/samba/bin/smbd -D
/usr/local/samba/bin/nmbd -D
  ;;

 stop)
  killall smbd
  killall nmbd
 ;;
 reload)
 kill -SIGHUP `cat /usr/local/samba/var/locks/smbd.pid`
 kill -SIGHUP `cat /usr/local/samba/var/locks/nmbd.pid`
 ;;
 *)
 echo Usage:
 echo start stop reload
 ;;
esac
exit 0

The startup scripts with the distros are unbelievably complicated.

Joel