[Samba] How to check which current version you're running ????

Jay Ts jay at metran.cx
Thu Jul 4 13:52:02 GMT 2002

Try the ps command.  On Linux for example, the command

	ps ax | grep smbd

will output something like

  741 ?        S      0:03 /usr/local/samba/bin/smbd -D
 4022 pts/1    S      0:00 grep smbd

On other Unix versions, the behavior of ps may vary.  Try some
options your ps supports and see if you can get the full path
to smbd.  Then you can use the 'smbd -V' command (with the
full path to smbd specified) to get the version.

This still is not an absolute measure.  If a new version was
installed after smbd started, then the old version will be
running, even if the executable was deleted from the disk.

I'm not totally sure (because the manpage is a bit skimpy)
but it seems you can use smbstatus to get the version of the
running daemon:

# smbstatus

Samba version 2.2.4
Service      uid      gid      pid     machine

Jay Ts
jay at jayts.cx