[Samba] printing problems

arenaz arenaz at udc.es
Thu Jul 4 10:25:02 GMT 2002

Hello, this is the first time I am wrting to this list.

I have a Ricoh Aficio 1015 printer/copier that, unfortunately,
is not supported under linux. I have a Debian "testing" linux
box running as a PDC as well as a file, fax, etc... server and I want it
work as a printing server, too.

I have downloaded the latest Samba release 2.2.5,
which allows two configure a printer
using the Windows 2000 device drivers provided by the
manufacturer. I have defined an entry in the /etc/printcap file
for the printer:

ricoh|ricoh aficio 1015:\
        :lp=/dev/lp0:sd=/var/spool/lpd/ricoh:\
        :sh:pw#80:pl#72:px#1440:mx#0:\
        :af=/var/log/lp-acct:lf=/var/log/lp-errs:

Next, I login the server as "root" fron a windows 2000
client and I add the windows drivers for the printer,
drivers that are uploaded in the linux server successfully.
Finally, when I try to print a test page, I get an error
from the windows 2000 client
"Operation could not be completed" and no log
message is registered in the linux server.

May the problem arise from the /etc/printcap
configuration? And from the conection between
samba and lprng?I am using lprng 3.8.10-1
Samba smb.conf related entries are currently
setup as follows:

        total print jobs = 0
        load printers = Yes
        printcap name = /etc/printcap
        addprinter command =
        deleteprinter command =
        show add printer wizard = Yes
        printer admin = root
        min print space = 0
        max print jobs = 1000
        printable = No
        printing = lprng
        print command = lpr -r -P%p %s
        printer name =
        printer driver =
        printer driver file = /usr/local/samba/lib/printers.def
        printer driver location =

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

      Manuel Arenaz