[Samba] Cross-subnet browsing (again)

Simon Hobson shobson-lists at colony.com
Thu Jul 4 07:48:04 GMT 2002

I have a network with several sites, and all clients (mostly win9x) using
one WINS server (Samba on RH Linux). The different sites have one or more
workgroups each, and I want all workgroups to be visible and browsable for
all clients.

As far as I can make out, the clients at the various networks can only
browse the workgroups which are either local or the one the WINS server is
a member of. Not only that, but if clients at two sites are members of the
same workgroup, they can't neccessarily connect to each other.

So, for example, if I have site 1 with workgroups A, B and X, site 2 with
workgroups C, D and X, and site 3 with workgroup E. What do I need to to to
make them all cross-subnet browseable (as in any machine can access any
machine irrespective of location&workgroup) ?

I've noticed that the workgroup master browsers in the wins.dat file all
seem to have an IP address of 255.255.255.255, which is why I guess clients
at other sites can't browse these workgroups !

Simon

--
Simon Hobson, Technical Services Engineer
Colony Gift Corporation Limited

Registered in England No. 1499611
Regd. Office : 100 New Bridge Street, London, EC4V 6JA.