[Samba] NMB problem

Steve Hayes steve at khatovartech.com
Thu Jul 4 02:33:02 GMT 2002

Sorry for the delayed response - I run Samba at home, and setting it up
is taking a backseat to work at the moment.

When I don't use the -B option I get the same behaviour - can't resolve
name. I played with the -R option on smbclient, and this is what I get
with smbclient for each option:

Connecting with host:
Perfect.

Connecting with wins:
Prompts for password, then seems to time out. Error message is "session
setup failed: code 0"

Connecting with lmhost:
Same as for wins

Connection with bcast:
name_query failed to find name DEMENTIA

My overall objective is to connect a Win2000 client (and eventually a
Mac OS client) to my linux server. At the moment the Win2000 client can
see the Samba server, but can't connect. My immediate goal is to get the
server working standalone, which is why I was diagnosing NMB.

So now I seem to be blocked on two fronts:

1) Why does NMB seem to be ok with everything except a broadcast on
192.168.1.255?

2) Why does smbclient work ok with "host", but not with WINS or LMHOST?

Thanks for your time,
Steve