[Samba] Samba 2.2.5 Printing problem with HP Designjets

Klaus Steinberger Klaus.Steinberger at Physik.Uni-Muenchen.DE
Thu Jul 4 01:24:02 GMT 2002

Hello Jim,

> Are you using the latest HP DesignJet driver?
> v4.61 is the one our HP450C is using;  We get all

No, I don't use the HP driver for some reasons. We use CUPS as the
underlying printing system, which likes to have Postscript. It can
handle hpgl, but normally want's to convert hpgl to PS, which gives us
bad results with designjets. We cannot give the necessary options to
prevent conversion in cups with the server side drivers as otherwise we
would break printing of other printers. Also not all of our Designjet
have Postscript built in, as well as our users tend to create Postscript
much too big for the Designjet Memory (max. 72MB).

So we have to use the gimp-print driver in cups, and have to use the
Adobe Postscript driver with the PPD from CUPS.

Also I would suspect that the HP drivers also has problems with the
paper forms with server side drivers.

Sincerely,
Klaus

--
Klaus Steinberger         Maier-Leibnitz Labor
Phone: (+49 89)289 14287  Am Coulombwall 6, D-85748 Garching, Germany