[Samba] smb.conf file help !!!!

Anthony J. Breeds-Taurima tony at cantech.net.au
Wed Jul 3 20:32:02 GMT 2002

On Wed, 3 Jul 2002, McGovern, Robert wrote:

> Ladies & Gentlemen,
>
> I currently have Samba running on HP9000 / hpux box.
>
> Network is Windows NT
>
> Workstations are Windows 2000 & Windows NT & Linux
>
> I have been able to get samba working from the Linux workstations
>
> I have been to get samba working on the NT workstations / 2000 , ONLY but
> using the smbpasswd file with password encrypt.
>
> BIG QUESTION = can I get samba working on my NT domain / workstations
> WITHOUT using the smbpasswd file & if so , could someone give me a hint on
> the smb.conf configuration.
>
> The last two days have been spent reading all kinds of samba docs. all I
> want to know , is it possible to get samba to work with NT without the
> smbpasswd file.

Yes, If you have an NT domain and you want to unify login names and passwords
between your NT PDC and your samba server then winbindd is probably what
you're looking for.

Check out:
	http://samba.org/samba/docs/man/Samba-HOWTO-Collection.html#WINBIND

It really is pretty simple.  I have it runing here on 2 NT domains serving
homei dirs,profiles and printers for about 2500 users.

Yours Tony

   Jan 22-25 2003           Linux.Conf.AU            http://linux.conf.au/
		  The Australian Linux Technical Conference!