[Samba] Winbind and Windows 2000

Brad Richins BRichins at lopezgarciagroup.com
Wed Jul 3 12:24:02 GMT 2002

-----Original Message-----
From: Juergen Hasch [mailto:Hasch at t-online.de]
Sent: Wednesday, July 03, 2002 13:53
To: Thomas Stegbauer; Brad Richins
Cc: samba at lists.samba.org
Subject: Re: [Samba] Winbind and Windows 2000

Am Mittwoch, 3. Juli 2002 10:14 schrieb Thomas Stegbauer:
> Brad Richins schrieb:
> | I am trying to used Winbind to retrieve user accounts from a Windows
> | 2000 native domain to no avail.  It would appear as though Winbind uses
> | an anonymous connection for communication and my Windows 2000 domain is
> | denying anonymous access.  Does anyone know how to winbind to use a user
> | account or how to set a Win2K Domain to allow anonymous connection after
> | it has been switched to ÿNative Modeÿ  I have already checked the
> | registry on my Domain controller at
>
> //HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SYSTEM/CurrentControlSet/control/Lsa/restrictanonymous
>.
>
> | This is in reference to a previous unanswered question where I posted my
> | smb.conf and winbindd debug output:
> | http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=samba&m=102546714116241&w=2
> | <http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=samba&m=102546714116241&w=2>
> |

> | Any help is appreciated.
>
> hi brad,
>
> i have the exactly same problem. i am not 100% sure, but can it be that
> for this active directory support must be given? so samba 3.0 is needed?
>
> greetings
> thomas

You can set a user for winbind to authenticate with:
	wbinfo -A user%password

...Juergen

Thanks that worked.  As for the question about needing samba 3.0, while I now have it working on both samba 2.2.5 and 3.0, the 3.0 version had a few more tools and options that made dealing with active directory easier.  On the other hand, it's still in alpha and I'm not too comfortable using alpha builds in a production environment.

/Brad Richins