[Samba] What's up with this

Michiel_Lange at actuera.nl Michiel_Lange at actuera.nl
Wed Jul 3 08:44:07 GMT 2002

Try to use the -o parameter, works great for me:

mount -t smbfs -o rw,username=jhonny,passwd=secret //winxbox/sharename
/tmp/winxx

keep in mind that for win9x username is can be omitted, password mut then
be the read/write access password (if you want RW access)

                    Urban Widmark
                    <urban at teststatio       To:     Rob Kurz <rob.kurz at natdistco.com>
                    n.com>                  cc:     samba at samba.org
                    Sent by:                Fax to:
                    samba-admin at lists       Subject:     Re: [Samba] What's up with this
                    .samba.org

                    03-07-2002 17:37

On Wed, 3 Jul 2002, Rob Kurz wrote:

> I can use smbclient to connect to windows boxes from my linux box but
> can not mount -t smbfs //winxbox/sharename /tmp/winxx I get:
>
> excvp of smbmount failed. error was no such file or directory.smbmount
> failed 1
>
> I can get to it with smbclient but not mount...what's up with that...I
> can see it on browse list of my windows box but can not connect...Help
me...

You have an incorrectly installed samba. I believe some rpms out there are
broken and for those you need to copy or link /usr/sbin/smbmnt to
/usr/bin/smbmnt.

The error message means exactly what it says. execvp couldn't find smbmnt.

It looks in the path, which mount should have set to something safe
(/bin:/usr/bin perhaps) and also in the samba BINDIR which is set at
compile time. Make sure smbmnt is available from one of those places.

(the original message does not say "excvp of smbmount failed", either you
 mistyped it - should always copy error messages - or some smartass
 changed it in the version you are using).

/Urban