[Samba] Cannot join Win2k with Samba+LDAP PDC

NSC - NetworkServiceCenter nsc at fh-stpoelten.ac.at
Tue Jul 2 22:53:02 GMT 2002

hi dennis

> I cannot join a Win2k machine to the Samba LDAP PDC. Have added a root
> account in ldap
did you set the password with >>smbpasswd -w PASSWORD -D
uid=root,dc=TEST,dc=NET<< ? you need the root password to bind stored in
secrets.tdb. after this, set the password stored in the dit with
>>smbpasswd root<< .

> added the machine in /etc/passwd and added the machine
> via smbpasswd but to no avail. I have turned up logging to level 3 and
why in /etc/passwd and not in the directory-tree (dit)?
make an entry for the ws in the dit and set the passwd with >>smbpasswd -m -
a CLIENTNAME$<<.

it should work now, but only if your pam.d files and nsswitch.conf where
modified correctly!
nsswitch.conf can you test with >>getent passwd<<. if you get entries
from /etc/passwd and the dit your nsswitch.conf is configured correctly

i hope i could help
lg
thomas reisenbichler