[Samba] Problems with odd characters in filenames on smbmounted Win95 share

Urban Widmark urban at teststation.com
Tue Jul 2 11:35:20 GMT 2002

On Tue, 2 Jul 2002, Keith G. Murphy wrote:

> I think that the characters are getting translated on the Win95 side
> into Codepage 437 (or something similar), replacing the "out-of-band"
> characters with underscores, because a Win98 machine looking at the same
> share sees exactly the same thing and has exactly the same problems as
> smbfs and smbmount on Linux.  That is further supported by the fact that
> underscores are used, because I think the Samba code uses something else
> (question marks?).

smbfs used to map things into questionmarks.

Note that smbfs doesn't care one bit about your smb.conf. You either set
it to a default when building the kernel or you pass it as a mount option
(iocharset/codepage). See the smbmount manpage.

> > I'd also love to know how you can tell which codepage the Windows server
> > is actually using, if that question makes sense.
> >
> I'd still like to know this.  And even how to change it, if possible...

If it's win9x I *think* it follows what you set in dos. I have the
following in my autoexec.bat.

mode con codepage prepare=((850) D:\WINDOWS\COMMAND\ega.cpi)
mode con codepage select=850
keyb sv,,D:\WINDOWS\COMMAND\keyboard.sys

But maybe there is some other win9x setting for this ... an I have no
intention of playing with this to see if it changes anything.

I don't know how to detect it (remotely) though. That would be nice to do.

/Urban