[Samba] Re: Samba and LDAP

Chris Andrew candrew at oxspring.com
Tue Jul 2 07:36:02 GMT 2002

Jethran,

Re your msg to samba groups.

I have just completed the exercise you mention. I have used samba 2.2.5
(latest) and openldap 2.0.23.

The software is running on a RedHat Linux 7.3 box and it all works v.
nicely. I have configured LDAP for local authentication for ssh, pop, imap
and samba. I initially used the migration scripts from padl.com - but only
for an initial understanding. I have since designed a schema that better
suits authentication of above.

With regard to installation, I used rpm's but had to recompile the samba rpm
to build in ldap support.

I have made documentation notes as I've gone along and would be happy to
share, but to be honest, most of the information is already out there. The
only thing I struggled with was deciding upon an ldap schema - ensuring the
system would be future proof in terms of software upgrades and real-world
company changes.

Regards,
Chris

Chris Andrew