[Samba] can samba server act as a domain controller for 3 subnets?

Mike Brodbelt m.brodbelt at acu.ac.uk
Mon Jul 1 07:23:10 GMT 2002

Arunachalam G wrote:
> the scenerio is
> there are three sub-nets
> 192.168.1.0
> 192.168.2.0
> 192.168.3.0
> and there is a machine named CONNECTOR that acts as gateway for the
> above three subnets, which is also a DHCP server.

> question is whether the machine DEEPOFIX can act as a domain controller
> for all the three subnets?

Yes, it could.

> if it can what are the necessary configuration
> options for smb.conf file & what major changes has to be made in windows
> side.

You need machines in the other subnets to be able to issue a NetBIOS
query for a domain controller, and have it answered. This means you
either need to have a lmhosts file on each machine with #PRE and #DOM
entries to make sure that they can resolve the IP address of the domain
controller, or you need to make sure that there is a machine on each
subnet that will respond. I'd say the easiest way to achieve this would
be to stick Samba on CONNECTOR configured to operate as a domain master
browser.

> if anyone knows the solution for this or if there is anyother way to
> achieve this & ready to reply, then that would be of great use.

HTH,

Mike.