[Samba] System error 5 on W2K

Ric Steinberger ricst at usa.net
Thu Jan 31 22:35:03 GMT 2002

Guys,

I'm pretty good at Linux, but only a user on Windows 2K.  I have set up Samba 2.2.2 on Red Hat 7.2 and all the local smb commands
seem fine.  But I can't get even the simplest commands from a Window's system, e.g.,

net view \\linux_samba_server

to work.  I always see:  System error 5 has occurred.  Access is denied.

I know this has something to do with authentication.  All I want to do is be able to import my home directory.  On my PC, I log in
as user "ric".  On my Linux system, my account name is "ric".

This is a portion of my smb.conf file:

[homes]
   comment = Home Directories
   browseable = no
   writable = yes
   path = /home/%S

I would really appreciate it if someone would take pity on me and send a brief note (to ricst at usa.net, or post to the list, but CC
me) explaining what to do.  Many thanks.

Ric Steinberger
Security Consultant
ricst at usa.net
650.856.2067