[Samba] samba stopped starting

Robert Campbell rob103 at hickorytech.net
Thu Jan 31 19:07:06 GMT 2002

I did a port scan with Nessus and now samba has stopped working.   I run it with smbd -D and nmbd -D  and they both seem to start without any errors and the .pid files are created.  then I do a ps ax and neither of the programs are running but the .pids are still in place.  I had this problem once before... I tried upgrading samba before and everything but the only way I was able to fix it was to re-install the entire OS.
I am running SlackWare8.0 now but the first time it happened was on SlackWare7.1
any ideas how to fix this please?