[Samba] Archive bit mapping broken in 2.2.2

Gilbert, John jgilbert at eosbiotech.com
Thu Jan 31 15:11:24 GMT 2002

Hello,
I've been trying to get the archive bit so that the "attrib -a filename"
command
can change it from Win2k machines. I need to get this working as the
backup-exec
software uses this feature to do incremental backups. Everything else seems
to be working.
I have the following smb.conf file...

[global]
workgroup = EOS_NT
netbios name = BIGDATA
server string = A Samba Server
security = SERVER
encrypt passwords = Yes
allow trusted domains = No
map to guest = Bad User
password server = NTINFO
username map = /usr/local/samba/lib/smbusers
log level = 1
log file = /var/log/samba
max log size = 50
dns proxy = No
alternate permissions = Yes
force create mode = 0100
hosts allow = 192.168.1.
dos filemode = Yes
map archive = Yes
[BIGDIR]
comment = Data
path = /local3
read list = nobody
force group = +users
read only = No
create mask = 0664
directory mask = 0775
guest ok = Yes
[c$]
comment = C for backupexec to play with
path = /local3
[BIGDIR2]
comment = More Data
path = /local2
read list = nobody
force group = +users
read only = No
create mask = 0664
directory mask = 0775
guest ok = Yes

I've been trying different combinations of force create mode,
alternate permissions, dos filemode, and map archive, but
no combination seems to work. The documentation from SWAT
on alternate permissions in smb.conf is missing, and the map archive
toggle doesn't save into the smb.conf file! I'm finding other
messages with google about backups failing against samba shares,
maybe this is the reason.

Please let me know if this problem is reproducible (i.e. not my
stupid mistake), and thanks in advance for any help finding a
solution.

John Gilbert
jgilbert at eosbiotech.com