[Samba] RE: Syncing WINS

Robert Dege rcd at amherst.com
Thu Jan 31 10:14:12 GMT 2002

Thanks for the help thus far.  Here's my status update:

I removed the 4 WINS servers that were running & replaced them with 1
Samba Server.  There are 2 WinNT PDC's communicating with a Trusted
Domain.  They are both pointed to the WINS Server as well.

subnet1 (172.28.x.x):
PDC (Yoda)
WINS Server (wins)

subnet2 (192.168.100.x):
PDC (Trillian)

I'm still having browsing issues between the 2, but my questions are now
more centralized, thanks to the help and insight of others.

1st:  I keep getting this error message in my log.nmbd.

===============
nmbd/nmbd_browsesync.c:find_domain_master_name_query_fail(360)
  find_domain_master_name_query_fail:
  Unable to find the Domain Master Browser name REMOTE ACCESS<1b> for
the workgroup REMOTE ACCESS.
  Unable to sync browse lists in this workgroup.
================

I have my WINS Server in a separate local workgroup called Remote
Access.  And the NT PDC is in a workgroup called Amhsys.  The WINS
Server is the local master of the group, but for some reason does not
recognize the PDC as a Domain Master.  The WINS Server reflects this.

According to wins.dat, Yoda (local PDC):

"YODA#00" 1012798251 172.28.1.255 64R
"YODA#1E" 1012798251 172.28.1.255 64R

If I move the WINS Server into the same workgroup as the NT PDC, and
alter the config file to allow the PDC to win the election, then it
changes to this:

"YODA#00" 1012798251 172.28.1.255 64R
"YODA#03" 1012798251 172.28.1.255 64R
"YODA#20" 1012798251 172.28.1.255 64R

Samba no longer complains about the Domain Master Browser running, and
adds this to the wins.dat to reflect it:

"AMHSYS#00" 1012799964 255.255.255.255 c4R
"AMHSYS#1b" 1012799081 172.28.1.255 64R
"AMHSYS#1c" 1012799081 172.28.1.255 e4R
"AMHSYS#1e" 1012799994 255.255.255.255 c4R

(Amhsys being the name of the workgroup).

Why would changing the local workgroup location cause this?  Also, since
there are 2 PDC's in the entire network, shouldn't WINS be listed them
as 1D?  (I listed the numbering scheme from O'Reilly's book below).

Okay, I'm off to read the BROWSING.txt file :)  Talk about perplexing!

Standard Workstation Service 00
Messenger Service (WinPopup) 03
RAS Server Service 06
Domain Master Browser Service
(associated with primary domain controller) 1B
Master Browser name 1D
NetDDE Service 1F
Fileserver (including printer server) 20
RAS Client Service 21
Network Monitor Agent BE
Network Monitor Utility BF

Standard Workstation group 00