[Samba] really serious and bizaar problem for us

Michael Joyner mjoyner at ewc.edu
Thu Jan 31 09:46:20 GMT 2002

You need to setup a local copy of bind running (named)
with forward and reverse entries for all your local ip#'s, making
sure that your server checkes the local named before checking the
internet for name look-ups.

samba does a reverse name lookup for every new connection, if it can't
determine the reverse name because of nslookup timeout (when the
internet is down) it will refuse your connection.