[Samba] really serious and bizaar problem for us

Kenneth Heath kheath22 at qtrailer.com
Thu Jan 31 07:45:34 GMT 2002

We have really enjoyed our first couple of weeks using samba2.2.2 as our PDC
but the past couple of days have been a nightmare the server out of nowhere
stopped letting people log in. We recieved an error message that said
"Device is not installed on this network." Now we were able to get rid of
the problem and at first were not sure how but, a couple of days later it
happened again but tis time we had found the problem. we have two servers
both freebsd 4.4 one is a firewal/proxy server the other is our PDC on both
occasions i noticed that our internet connection had been locked up I
restarted our connection and the PDC allowed people to log in again. also i
had noticed that when the internet connection is up and running it takes a
while to log in to the PDC here is our smb.conf:
[global]
	printcap name = /etc/printcap
	domain master = yes
	interfaces = 128.223.2.5/255.255.0.0
	logon home = "\\bsd2\%U"
	domain logons = yes
	encrypt passwords = yes
	preferred master = yes
	printing = bsd
	logon path = \\bsd2\%U\profiles
	workgroup = qtpcorp
	logon script = %U.bat
	socket options = TCP_NODELAY
	netbios name = bsd2
	keep alive = 30
	load printers = yes
	security = user
	logon drive = h:
	os level = 65
	writable = yes
	wins support = yes
	create mode = 775

[netlogon]
  comment = On the fly creation off Logon script
  root preexec = /usr/local/netlogon/logonscript.pl %U %M %m
  root postexec = /usr/local/netlogon/logoutscript.pl %U %M %m
  path = /usr/local/netlogon

[homes]
   comment = Home directories
   browseable = yes
   read only = no
   create mode = 0750

[Accounting]

	path = /scratch5/acct
	valid users = wallacek,heathk, at acct
	create mode = 775

[HR_Dept]

	path = /scratch5/hr_dept
	valid users = wallacek,heathk, at hr
	create mode = 775

[Credit]

	path = /scratch5/credit
	valid users = wallacek,heathk, at credit
	create mode = 775

[Management]

	path = /scratch5/management
	valid users = wallacek,heathk, at manage
	create mode = 775

[Public]

	path = /scratch6/public
	create mode = 777

[IT_Dept]

	path = /scratch6/is
	valid users = wallacek,heathk, at wheel
	create mode = 775

[Fender]

	path = /scratch6/fend
	valid users = wallacek,heathk, at fend
	create mode = 775

[Marketing]

	path = /scratch6/marketing
	valid users = wallacek,heathk, at marketing
	create mode = 775

[Purchasing]

	path = /scratch6/purchasing
	valid users = wallacek,heathk, at purch