[Samba] W2K/Samba nightmare

Mark Piercewright mark at squirrelsoft.demon.co.uk
Thu Jan 31 03:21:28 GMT 2002

Hi everyone

I have a problem that has been ongoing for several months and I would be
grateful for any assistance.

I have two W2K machines and one RH71/Samba 2.2.2 server.  On one W2K machine
browsing works so quickly in explorer that it is as good as a local disk.
On the other client, it takes seconds if not minutes to display a directory.

I have used tcpdump and ngrep to take a look at the comparative network
activity but I simply don't know enough about the protocols to understand
what has been captured.   What is apparent, is that the good client
completes its browse transaction in 113 packets, and the bad machine takes a
staggering 6654 packets for the same directory.  The bad transaction appears
to be sending not only the directory list but the contents of the files as
well.