[Samba] FTP and Samba Share

Matt Krause GT3NE1 at charter.net
Wed Jan 30 12:05:49 GMT 2002

Okay, I've got one for you all. I am trying to setup a samba share on one server, mount it on another server, and ftp in to the second server and upload/download to the share.  Confused yet? :)  For instance:

1. server1 has a share /data
2. server2 mounts the //server1/data share to /mnt/data_on_server1
3. ftp client on workstation logs into server2 and can upload/dowload to /mnt/data_on_server1

I have the download working, but I cannot upload (permission denied).  I am mounting the share as:

mount -t smbfs -o username=username,uid=0,gid=505 //server1/data /mnt/data_on_server1

It mounts the share as owner root (uid=0) and group data (gid=505), but the permissions are rwxr-xr-x on /mnt/data_on_server1

I want to have the permissions on /mnt/data_on_server1 read rwxrwx--- so that only root and members of group data on server2 can upload/download to the share.  Well, it would be nice just to get upload working period, but ideally I would like the above permissions.

Here is my smb.conf file entry on server1 just in case someone needs it.

[DATA]
        comment = datastor
        path = /data/stor
        browseable = no
        valid users = @mp3 @admin
        write list = @admin
        force group = admin
        read only = yes

I would appreciate it a bunch if someone could give some pointers on getting this working. Thanks.

Matt Krause
GT3NE1 at charter.net