[Samba] Samba 2.0.7, Solaris 8, NT 4 network - Unable to access

Owen Jacobson ojacobson at 3sygma.com
Wed Jan 30 11:55:23 GMT 2002

(I'm using 2.0.7 because it came with some other software I'm responsible
for -- mainsoft.com's mainwin porting environment.  It did come as a binary
distribution.)

>From any machine on the network, attempting to log into samba as a valid
solaris user fails with

    \\Salsa is not accesible.

    The account is not authorized to login from this station.
            [OK]

Attempting to login from Salsa itself using smbclient also fails:

# bin/smbclient //salsa/ -U owen
added interface ip=90.1.0.253 bcast=90.1.0.255 nmask=255.255.255.0
Password:
Domain=[WORKGROUP] OS=[Unix] Server=[Samba 2.0.7]
tree connect failed: ERRSRV - ERRinvnetname (Invalid network name in tree
connect.)
#

smb.conf looks like:

# Samba config file created using SWAT
# from localhost (127.0.0.1)
# Date: 2002/01/30 09:34:26

# Global parameters
[global]
 null passwords = Yes
 unix password sync = Yes
 load printers = No
 guest account = smbguest
 guest ok = Yes
 hosts allow = 90.1.0.0/255.255.255.0
 veto oplock files = /*.exe/

[homes]
 comment = Home Directories
 writeable = Yes
 create mask = 0664
 force create mode = 0664
 directory mask = 0775
 force directory mode = 0775
EOF

Final note:  swat shows smbd as "not running" but ps -A | grep smbd comes up
with a pid.

Haalp!
  -Owen Jacobson

PS - if this is the wrong list, please point me at the right one.