[Samba] Security with SMBClient

Rashkae rashkae at wealthmap.ca
Wed Jan 30 08:00:12 GMT 2002

Probably not an ideal solution for security, but:

Put the smblclient command in a shell scrip, make it executable, remove
all permissions for everyone else.

Ex: chmod 700 sambajob

Now modify your crontab to run sambajob

On Wed, 30 Jan 2002, Sanjay wrote:

Hello,

I want to do file copy from one machine to another
using SMBclient using cron. I want this to be secure,
but I have to put the actual password into the
crontab,
which, of course gets spit out in the cron logs:

00 1 * * * smbclient \\\\myserver\\myshare mypassword
-U myuser -c 'cd \mydirectory;prompt;put myfile;'

Notice that mypassword will of course always be
repeated in the logs.  Can someone help me with this
problem? Is there a more secure way to do this?

Thank you for any help.

Sanjay