[Samba] Samba 2.2.2, queries

Martyn Ranyard ranyardm at lineone.net
Wed Jan 30 04:14:09 GMT 2002

If you have installed a binary version, then I assume you had a working
pre-installed samba that came with your distribution of unix.

Various different versions of samba produced by vendors have different
files in different places (e.g. smb.conf on Slackware 8.0 is in /etc/samba
in v7.0 it is in /etc and in source versions it is usually in
/usr/local/lib/samba) so it is advisable to use the package control system
on your OS to remove old versions before installing new versions.  Also, I
would reccommend you get the package for samba from the place you got the
original, which in the case of a preinstalled version would be the
installation media (cd, floppy, ftp etc.)

Hope this helps.